These waffles. They’re everything. After trying countless waffle recipes out there, I have finally developed one that I am truly in love with. No joke, I have made these over and OVER again. It’s not a perfect waffle if you don’t get those light crispy edges with a soft fluffy interior. But I am finally proud to say this recipe combines the best of both worlds. The secret? Fluffy beaten egg whites.
Yield: 4 waffles
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 earl grey tea bag + 1 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Microwave milk for 1 minute. Steep tea bag in milk for at least 10 minutes. Let milk cool.
- Combine dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Combine egg yolk, earl grey infused milk, oil, vanilla and mix in a separate large mixing bowl.
- Add dry ingredients into wet mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Fold fluffy egg whites into mixture. Do not over-mix.
- Heat a waffle iron under medium-high heat.
- When ready, scoop one and a half ladle-full batter into centre. Turn waffle iron upside down.
- When waffle is done cooking, place on cooling rack for 3-5 minutes until ready to serve.
- Serve with whipped cream and syrup (or berry compote). Enjoy!