My first time hearing about chia seeds was actually just less than a week ago. Yes, I am totally behind on the super foods game but hey, who says you’re too late to start now? Better late than never, right? Chia seeds are definitely a cool discovery for me – they expand over time in liquid – kinda like what tapioca does! Maaagic! Not only are they high in calcium, but chia seeds are also a great source of omega-3. Pair it with other sorts of healthy ingredients like blueberries, bananas, granola, and coconut and I’m sure you’ll be on your way to a healthier you!
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 1/2 cup soy milk or almond milk + 4 tbsp for mixing matcha
- 2 tsp matcha powder (I used Midori from Matchaeologist)
- 1/8 cup coconut milk/cream (optional)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1/8 tsp vanilla or almond extract (optional)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Toppings: granola, sliced bananas, fresh blueberries, shredded coconut
- In a small bowl, add matcha powder and 4 tbsp of soy milk. Mix until lumps are removed and a smooth pasty liquid is formed.
- Combine soy milk, coconut milk, syrup, vanilla and salt in a blender.
- Add in the smooth matcha pasty liquid into blender.
- Blend for 10 seconds (longer if lower power).
- Add in chia seeds and stir with a spoon until even distributed.
- Cool overnight in fridge or for ~5 hours. (I would encourage to stir on occasions to help the chia seeds distribute more evenly)
- Spoon into cups and add toppings. (*The above are just suggested toppings – please cater to your own tastebuds!*)
- Add extra syrup if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!