Matcha-misu is a unique twist on a classic tiramisu. Instead of cocoa powder, matcha powder is used. For all tiramisu and matcha lovers out there, this is a must-try!
Yield: 4 cups
- 475g (~2cups) mascarpone cheese at room temperature
- 2 tbsp rum
- 5 eggs at room temperature, separated into whites and yolks, pasteurized
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups whipping/heavy cream
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 30 giant lady fingers
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Matcha powder for dusting: 1/8 cup
- In a small bowl, mix rum, water, matcha powder and sugar. Soak lady fingers in mixture for 2 seconds before transferring into a 9’x9′ square pan.
- Mascarpone cheese + Rum: In a large bowl, beat mascarpone cheese until smooth. Beat at high speed until mixture becomes creamy. Add rum and mix until incorporated.
- Prepare a double boiler for the egg yolks: If you have a double boiler, use it in this step. If you don’t, place a heat-proof bowl over a small pot of simmering water over medium-low heat. DO NOT let the water touch the bottom of the bowl. Whisk the egg yolks and 1/4 cup of granulated sugar together until light and foamy, about 5 minutes. It should double in volume. Remove from the heat immediately. Add vanilla extract. Mix until well incorporated.
- Slowly add egg yolk mixture into cheese and rum mixture. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Whip the Heavy Cream: Now time to make the whipped cream. Chill a medium-sized bowl in the freezer for 10 mins. Take out of freezer and add whipping cream. Beat on high speed until cream thickens and soft peaks form. (Be careful not to over-beat)
- Add whipped cream into cheese-cream mixture. Use a whisk to mix evenly.
- Beat the Egg Whites In another dry large bowl, beat egg whites under medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. (~4-5 mins – do not overbeat or else egg whites will become dry). Fold into the mascarpone cream mixture with a spatula.
- Slowly add in matcha powder and salt. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Assemble: Transfer mixture on top of the lady fingers in the square pan. Use a spatula to spread evenly.
- Add more soaked lady fingers on top of cream, alternating between cake and cream layers. End of with cream layer on the top.
- Cover and store in freezer for 6 hours (only if freezer-proof). If not freezer-proof, chill in refrigerator instead.
- Dust matcha powder on top of cream before serving.