Matcha-misu is a unique twist on a classic tiramisu. Instead of cocoa powder, matcha powder is used. For all tiramisu and matcha lovers out there, this is a must-try!
- 5 eggs at room temperature, separated into egg yolks and whites
- 475g mascarpone cheese at room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp rum
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- 30 giant lady fingers
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Matcha powder for dusting: 1/8 cup
- In a small bowl, mix rum, water, matcha powder and sugar. Soak lady fingers in mixture for 2 seconds before transferring into a square pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat egg yolks at high speed. Add 1/4 cup sugar. Beat for a minute. Add vanilla extract. Beat until it becomes light yellow.
- In a large bowl, beat cheese. Slowly, add in egg yolk mixture and beat at high speed until mixture becomes creamy. Add rum and mix until incorporated.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, about 4-6 mins on high speed. Add 1/4 cup sugar in halves. Beat after each addition until fully incorporated.
- Add egg whites mixture into cheese mixture and beat at slow speed until fully incorporated. Slowly add in matcha powder and beat at slow speed.
- Chill a medium-sized bowl in the freezer for 10 mins. Take out of freezer and add whipping cream. Beat on high speed until cream thickens and becomes whipped cream. (Be careful not to over-beat)
- Add whipped cream into cheese-cream mixture. Use a spatula to mix evenly.
- Transfer mixture on top of the lady fingers in the square pan. Use a spatula to spread evenly.
- Add more soaked lady fingers on top of cream, alternating between cake and cream layers.
- Cover and store in freezer for 6 hours (only if freezer-proof). If not freezer-proof, chill in refrigerator instead.
- Sprinkle matcha powder on top of cream before serving.