Please clam down. I know, I know. I just made an awfully lame pun, but honestly, I still think its quite funny.
This soup is filled with creamy scallop and clam goodness. You will probably be drinking 2-3 big bowls of this before you want to stop.
Time: 1-1.5 hours
- 2 Celery stalks, diced
- Half a large Carrot, diced
- 1 cooking Onion, diced
- 1 baking Potato, peeled (1/2 diced, ½ grated)
- Garlic, chopped
- 4 slices of Bacon
- 1lb Live Manila Clams, rinsed
- 12-15 pieces of frozen or fresh Scallops, immersed in cold water for at least 30 mins (reserve “scallop water” for stock)
- 1 tbsp of “Better Than Bouillon” paste (can substitute with 1 cup of chicken stock and 1 cup water instead of 2 cups water)
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tbsp of Oil
- 1 cup White wine
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 5-2 cups Table Cream (18%)
- In a medium-sized pot, sizzle bacon under medium-high heat until golden brown. Transfer bacon to a small dish lined with paper towel. Using the leftover bacon oil, sautee the celery, carrot, onion and potatoes for around 15 mins until vegetables are soft. Season with a pinch of salt. Turn heat down to low-medium.
- Cut bacon into bits and add them to the vegetables.
- Add bouillon paste into sautéed vegetables. Stir. Add water.
- Meanwhile, heat another medium-sized pot-pan (with lid) with oil and chopped garlic under medium-high heat. When garlic starts to brown, add white wine. Bring to a rolling boil. Add clams and cover with lid until clams start to open. When clams are opened, add butter. Stir. Turn off heat. Discard any unopened clams.
- Transfer the clams into a bowl, reserving the clam juice. Pour clam juice into vegetable stock. Add in reserved “scallop water”. Stir.
- Add cream. Stir and bring to a soft boil by turning up heat to medium-high.
- Meanwhile, take out clam meat from shells and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Add chopped clam meat and scallops into boiling pot. Stir and cook for 3-5 mins until scallops are opaque white, giving off a bouncy texture.
- Taste chowder and season with salt and pepper.